Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mini Giraffe Cake

For the last 6 months my niece has been asking me to make her a giraffe cake for her birthday.  I was looking forward to making it for her, but unfortunately we were unable to attend her party due baseball playoffs.  I promised her that the next time I saw her I would have one for her.

So this past weekend, we headed up to Lake Anna to visit my parents.  My brother and the kids were going to be there as well, so I decided to go ahead and make her cake.  I figured since there would only be 8 of us there I would make it a mini. 

I baked a vanilla bean sheet cake, cut out 2- 4inch circles and a single 2 inch.   I put the cakes in the freezer for about 20 minutes, makes icing it much easier.  Then I filled, stacked and crumb coated the 4 inch cakes.  I also crumb coated the smaller 2 inch cake.  I stuck them back in the freezer for about 10 minutes.  You don't want them frozen solid, just enough to be able to work with them.  I iced them, stacked them and put a skewer through them.


I colored my fondant and rolled it out.  I covered the entire thing in one covering.


I added the brown spots, the legs and arms.
There was a small imperfection on the neck so I added a small ribbon with a blue and red flower.

I made the head separately.  I used a combination of modeling chocolate and fondant. 

Here is the finished product! 






1 comment: